KENDALL KESSLER'S OIL PAINTING DIARY

Friday, June 17, 2011

It is not Just a Paint Job and Mom always said I was Crazy


I was working away at a difficult, intense painting today and, as always, thoughts from various teachers were going through my mind. I remember one teacher said that when he got the idea for the painting, the rest was just a paint job. For me, nothing could be further from the truth. My paintings go through many stages and I use so many colors and textures that the complexity of visual information is overwhelming. I don't think the average person can understand what I am talking about, but I think it is safe to say that for most artists it is not what you paint but how you paint it. My work is a unique interpretation of what is in front of me. Hopefully people can see the intense feeling that I put into every painting through the colors and brushwork.

My mother, whom I dearly love, often told me I was crazy. She is my greatest supporter and a wonderful person. She encouraged me to be an artist when many parents discourage children to pursue art. She is a fantastic pianist so she understands what it is to be an artist. My energy, my ways of doing things, and my unusual views on life are the reason she called me crazy. She is right but I wouldn't be any other way! Thanks Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment