KENDALL KESSLER'S OIL PAINTING DIARY

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

More on the Great Smoky Mountains Near The Blue Ridge Parkway and Who can fall down the hardest...

My Artwork
theveryblueridgecopyright

The Very Blue Ridge  Original Painting has been sold

Prints on paper or canvas available at     KENDALL KESSLER ART

So far I have two paintings from The Great Smoky mountains of North Carolina.

They are a subrange of the Appalachian Mountains, and form part of the Blue Ridge Physiographic Province which is why I entitled the above painting, The Very Blue Ridge even though it is a range in the Smokies.  

Both of them have been sold, but, as always, large and small prints on paper or canvas are available on my website.

North Carolina Myths and Legends

There are a lot of myths and legends about North Carolina mountains.
Here is one I really like.

Brown Mountain is a low ridge in Burke County that is a showcase for one of the last, great unexplained phenomena in the world.

During the night, usually in autumn, mysterious glowing orbs can be seen to rise up off the mountain, hover and wobble about fifteen feet up in the air, and then disappear.

There's no denying that the lights are real. They have been observed by countless witnesses and photographed on many occasions. But what they are is still unknown.

Explanations have varied over the years.

The Cherokee were aware of the lights, and claimed that the lights were the souls of Cherokee women searching for their men who had died in a great battle between the Cherokee and the Catawba that took place on Brown Mountain.

Other legends say that the lights are the the ghostly echoes of lights that appeared during a search for a murdered woman in the 19th century.

I got this legend from Brown Mountain Lights on the online publication, North Carolina Ghost Stories and Legends

goldenbrsunsetcopyrightGolden Blue Ridge Sunset    Original pastel painting     18"x26"    $936.00
Prints on Paper or Canvas available at    KENDALL KESSLER ART


Life with the Word and Bird Man - Clyde Kessler

Kudos to Clyde for getting five more poems published yesterday in Mystic Nebula and Rose Red.  

Mystic Nebula is a science fiction poetry magazine and Rose Red is a fantasy poetry magazine.  He really is on a roll lately!


I love to skate.  I have been skating for most of my life but a number of years ago I decided I should quit because I feared getting a bad injury.  I took up Line Dancing and loved it but missed skating.

This year I decided to go back and just skate when there aren't a lot of people at the rink and wear pads.  I read on the Internet that skating is actually one of the lower risk sports and would be even lower if people would wear pads.

I still get nervous due to skaters that can't skate very well and reckless skaters.

The other day a bunch of teen-age boys were skating at break neck speed and playing tag.  I told my husband it would be great if rinks had adult skates like pools so I could skate in peace.

His reply was they should have a session for all the macho skaters that want to see who can fall the hardest without mangling himself.  The words he used were more colorful but I strongly believe in G-rated posts!  

Although I will post an occasional tasteful nude.  It's art!

No comments:

Post a Comment