KENDALL KESSLER'S OIL PAINTING DIARY

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Christiansburg Ghost Story near The Blue RIdge Parkway and I use Signs now...

My Artwork


house11copyrightHouse on Route 11  Original Oil Painting has been Sold

Prints on Paper or Canvas Available at   KENDALL KESSLER ART


Route 11 is the road I take to Christiansburg, VA.  I loved this house and decided to make a painting of it.  It was sold in Roanoke at Studios on The Square.



Christiansburg Virginia Ghost Story  

This is a Ghost Story that has been around for more than a century. Mary Snead, Caroline Martin, and Virginia Wardlaw were educators that ran the Old Montgomery Female Academy.

The old building is gone. It is now The Old Christiansburg Middle School and currently houses Blacksburg Middle School students.

The women were notorious for killing off relatives for insurance money.  They were never convicted of a crime until they left and moved to New Jersey in 1909. When they went to New Jersey they had a $20,00 insurance policy on Ocie Snead. 

The three women would pay for the suspicious drowning of Ocie.

Caroline was convicted and died later in a state mental institution.

Mary Snead pleaded guilty to manslaughter.

Virginia Wardlaw starved herself to death before a judge could make a ruling. Her body is in an un-marked grave in Christiansburg.

 Some people say the Snead Sisters, or The Sisters in Black still live in the halls of this local school.


I found this ghost story on the online WDBJ7.com articles collections

thecrossingcopyrightThe Crossing  Original 25"x 30"    Acrylic painting    $1830.00

Prints on Paper or Canvas Available at        KENDALL KESSLER ART

This is a painting I did from a photograph of a man and his daughter crossing The New River from Bisset Park.  I changed the way they looked to protect their privacy.  I just thought this would make a nice genre painting.




Life with The Word and Bird Man

I have always been careful to the point of being uptight about schedules and my husband is the same way.  We are both usually early to any kind of meeting.  It is much easier to be early than on time.  He has some choice words about people that are late.  

He has a descriptive word for someone that is five minutes late, another one for ten, and a very colorful one for someone that is twenty minutes late.

I never thought I would forget an appointment until about a year ago when I thought about the appointment in the morning and then forgot about it in the afternoon!  I was mortified so now I actually post a sign that hangs down from the door frame to my kitchen so I won't forget.

Age really does change a person.  This morning I had to be reminded by my husband to put the sign up!  Yikes! What next?

No comments:

Post a Comment