KENDALL KESSLER'S OIL PAINTING DIARY

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

The Peaks of Otter on The Blue Ridge Parkway and Totally...

One of my favorite Inspirations on the Blue Ridge Parkway

I have been painting in oils since I was twelve and my first painting was a wooded landscape.  It is no wonder that I have been working from the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains and the wonderful Blue Ridge Parkway my adult life.  There is nothing like this gorgeous mountain region that inspires a lot of my work.

One of my favorite subjects is the Peaks of Otter in Bedford County.  My family and I have been there many times and stayed at the peaceful lodge that does not have televisions in the rooms.  The deer are so used to people that they are like dogs roaming the grounds.

My husband, son, and I took the bus up to Sharp Top one time and then walked down!  What a hike!  It was so beautiful and I took a number of photographs that I based several oil paintings on.  I almost always work from my own photographs for a reference but it is not my intention to reproduce the photograph.


The photograph is a starting point for my own unique expression which is both Impressionistic and Expressionistic.

On the way down we were behind a young woman carrying a baby on her back.  I was amazed that she would take such a long hike carrying an infant.  I don't think I could have handled that.  Too much trouble with my back in those days.


Life with the Bird and Word Man

I like to include something about my unusual husband, Clyde Kessler, who is a self-taught naturalist and published poet.  He is also very funny and I like to include the funny things he says at times.
He works closely with the Blue Ridge Discovery Group to promote enjoyment and conservation of his beautiful home which is the mountains of Southwest Virginia.

He is originally from Ferrum Va and his great-great uncle George Kessler is one of three founders of Ferrum College.

The main purpose of the Blue Ridge Discovery Group is to get kids outside to explore and appreciate their fantastic mountain home.
He is publishing quite a lot of poetry lately which can be found online.

A few days ago I asked him if he remembers when people didn't use the word awesome very much.  His reply was totally!


 Sell Art Online

 Art Prints

 Photography Prints

No comments:

Post a Comment