KENDALL KESSLER'S OIL PAINTING DIARY

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

More About the Peaks of Otter and Just let Gravity do the Work...

 
Peaks of Otter History
My family has enjoyed this beautiful Bedford setting and it is one of many Blue Ridge Parkway sites my husband researches for birds and butterflies. I thought is would be interesting to include some historical facts about this beautiful place that has been an inspiration for a number of my paintings.


No one really knows how the Peaks got their name. There are no otters in the area. The most likely explanation is that two brothers, Charles and Robert Ewing named the peaks after otters from their native land.
There are many natural settings and rivers named for otters in Scotland and England. Charles Ewing and family members are buried at the foot of Sharp Top.


Europeans have known The Peaks for about two and a half centuries. Flat Top is the higher of the two and is 4,001 feet above sea level. Sharp Top is 3,875. Sharp Top appears higher but it is an optical illusion.


Sharp Top draws more visitors and Virginia's contribution to The Washington Monument was taken from the top of Sharp Top.


I learned about The Peaks of Otter from a great essay called The Peaks of Otter Story by Thomas A Markham. There is a lot more to read there if you are interested!


Life with The Bird and Word Man 

Today I was getting so irritated with a site I am unfamiliar with that I called my husband up to complain about it.  I love his solution to the problem.  Don't let it get to you. Open the window and let gravity do the work.  I almost did just that!

 I am still having a great time working on my Kendall Expressions and hope to have my latest one of a domestic cat up soon.

Don't forget about my Limited Time Promotions on Fine Art America!  I always have three selections up.
Art Prints
Photography Prints



No comments:

Post a Comment