KENDALL KESSLER'S OIL PAINTING DIARY

Monday, February 24, 2014

More Fancy Gap on The Blue RIdge Parkway and Food Discrimation...

My Artwork
I am pleased to sell two small prints on my website of my flower paintings.  I am especially proud of my florals!  The colors and textures sing!
colorswirlcopyright
Color Swirl
Prints available on paper or canvas in a wide range of sizes on my website
Original painting (12"x16")with solid wood molded frame is $660.00  The painting does not have black borders. 

Fancy Gap
My naturalist husband, Clyde Kessler, has always been a great help to me for my mountain sources for paintings.  Fancy Gap on The Blue Ridge Parkway is one of my favorite settings for my unique visual interpretations.  I am always astounded by the colorful atmosphere of this gorgeous mountain region.
farmNearFancy Gapcopyrighted
Farm Near Fancy Gap
Prints available on my website
Original painting (30"x40") $2425.00

I have done so many paintings from The Blue Ridge Parkway that sometimes I forget how many I have done from one locale.  In my last post on Fancy Gap I mentioned I had done two paintings based on Fancy Gap but actually I have three.

I plan to do more but right now I am captivated by my own brand of Expressionism I call Kendall Expressions.

 In these paintings I am mostly working on wild and domestic animals to emphasize their energy with my energetic brushwork and strong color contrast.  I am working on my second Tiger painting right now and hope to add it to my folder this week.  I wish someone could add a lot of hours to the day!


Life with The Bird and Word Man
My husband, Clyde Kessler, is a well-known naturalist in The New RIver Valley and also publishes his poetry.  

He has been publishing a lot lately and was just notified today of five more accepted by  The Writing Disorder.  They will appear in the Spring online issue.         

He is also very funny - at least to me.  His humor is mostly word play which I love.

For some reason I have never liked pork.  Even as a child I could only stand to eat bacon if it was cooked to death.  My husband loves all pork and he says when it comes to food, I am pigoted!

Yeah, well he hates all kinds of seafood so I say he is seafood challenged!

More on Beautiful Fancy Gap

The Fancy Gap Turnpike was used as a stagecoach route from the South to the Great Lakes.

Horse-drawn coaches would stop halfway up the mountain to let the horses rest.

This area was known as Double Branches, where two streams cascaded across the road.

In the late 19th century the railroad came as far north as Mount Airy, NC. Farmers would drive their herds of cattle and sheep down Fancy Gap Turnpike to the railroad for shipment.

When the automobile came along, Virginia and North Carolina worked together to build a graveled road from Mount Airy to Fancy Gap and was finished in 1922.

At Double Branches a tavern and motel were built. During this time travel up the mountain was so difficult that motorists spent time at the tavern/motel cooling themselves and their cars.

Even after the road was improved in 1928, it was still an extremely arduous route and there have been many songs written about it's perils.

I found this information on a great essay by Ron Hall entitled Heaven is a little closer, Fancy Gap, Virginia

No comments:

Post a Comment