KENDALL KESSLER'S OIL PAINTING DIARY

Thursday, June 5, 2014

More Cheroke Animal Legends of the Blue Ridge Mountains near The Blue Ridge Parkway and Blue Ridge Discovery Event tomorrow!

My Artwork

For the last few days I have been blogging about Cherokee Animal Myths and Legends so I thought it would be a good idea to post some of my animal paintings from my folder Kendall Expressions.  

In these paintings I have let my expressive side take over!
Here is the link to this folder on my website      Kendall Expressions

bearbeautyhcbig (2)Bear Beauty   Original 16"x20" Acrylic painting      $670

Prints on Paper or Canvas Available at   KENDALL KESSLER ART


antlersbig (1)Antler Swirl    Original 20"x16" Acrylic Painting     $670

Prints on Paper or Canvas Available at   KENDALL KESSLER ART


galoppingredhcbig (1)Galloping Red   Original 16"x20" Acrylic Painting      $670

Prints on Paper or Canvas Available at   KENDALL KESSLER ART



Yesterday I blogged about some of the Cherokee animal legends and thought it would be a good idea to add some more!    I like to learn!


Cherokee Animal Legends

Yesterday I wrote about the skunk legend.  The Cherokees believe the smell is a deterrent to disease.  There is more to it.  During the small pox epidemic of 1866 the animal was hung up and sometimes it was cooked and eaten.  The oil was rubbed on the sick person's body because they believed the smell would repel the disease spirit.

The beaver is invoked when children are getting their permanent teeth since it has amazing gnawing ability.  When  children lose a tooth they run with it around the house four times and ask the beaver to put a new tooth in their jaw.

The dog does not appear much in their myths but some say it is responsible for the Milky Way.

Another myth says the dog drives the wolf from the home and takes the comfortable place by the fire for himself.

The elephant which some Cherokees saw in shows is called The Great Butterfly because of its large flapping ears and long trunk which resemble the wings and proboscis of the insect.


I got this information from the online publication  First People The Legends


Life with The Bird and Word Man  -  Clyde Kessler

I wanted to again remind folks of the next Blue Ridge Discovery Center event this Friday!

BRDC at Independence Farmers Market
Fri, June 6, 9:30am – 12:30pm


Calendar
BRDC Web Calendar
Created by
scott@blueridgediscoverycenter.org
Description
More kid events.

No comments:

Post a Comment