KENDALL KESSLER'S OIL PAINTING DIARY

Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Cherokee Animal Legends and Vacuum Tales in Radford near The Blue Ridge Parkway


My Artwork


bueridgemistcopyrightBlue Ridge Mist    Original 12"x16"  Oil Painting     $384

Prints on Paper or Canvas Available at    KENDALL KESSLER ART

LiatrisflowersLiatris Flowers at Doughton Park    Original 30"x40" Oil Painting  $2425

Prints on Paper or Canvas Available at KENDALL KESSLER ART


pawleyswaterwaycopyrightNear Pawleys Island    Original 11"x14" Oil Painting     $313

Prints on Paper or Canvas Available at    KENDALL KESSLER ART


I still have Pawleys Island on my mind!  After I do some more shore scenes I will be getting back to large Blue Ridge Vistas!


I have put up a number of blogs on the Cherokee Native American legends about the Black Bear in The Blue Ridge Mountains and today I came across some other legends regarding other animals!  Interesting stuff!

Cherokee Animal Legends

The primeval animals are thought to have been larger and stronger than their present day descendants.

The rabbit is the most prominent animal in their myths.   It is a trickster and considered to be malicious.  It is often beaten at its own game by those it intends to victimize.  Ball players are forbidden to eat rabbits when they are in training because this animal seems to be so confused when it runs.

The meat of the common grey squirrel is forbidden to rheumatic patients because of the cramped position it assumes while eating.

The deer won its horns in a successful race with the rabbit.

The wolf is revered as a hunter and Cherokees abstain from killing it if they can avoid it.  They believe a relative of the slain wolf will seek out the hunter and kill him.

The odor of the skunk is believed to keep off contagious diseases.

I found this information on the online publication, First People , The Legends

Life with The Word and Bird Man

Over the years my husband and I have had a lot of trouble with vacuum cleaners.  I try to be very careful not to pick up anything that will break it but I seem to manage to break them anyway.  Either that, or they just break to spite me.

I am practically putting my head to the rug to check for objects since we bought a new one a while back.  It is under warranty and I have the box and everything in it.  This one will be replaced if something goes wrong.

The other day I was vacuuming our bedroom and my husband was standing nearby.
I said I checked and I didn't see any stupid thing  on the floor.

He said he was standing on the rug but he didn't think that would be a problem.  I didn't mean him!  He is always there with a word quip!  Keeps me laughing!

No comments:

Post a Comment