KENDALL KESSLER'S OIL PAINTING DIARY

Sunday, January 12, 2014

Blue Ridge Splendor and The only way it would be more obvious...

Yesterday I added another Blue Ridge Parkway painting to my ebay classified listings and received a lot of hits and positive feedback on Linkedin.  The painting, "Bull Mountain", is a popular one that I keep forgetting to add to my website where people can buy it or prints of it.  It is on Etsy and I have put in on Pinterest.  I have to take my easel outside to get a good enough file for printing so I will try to get to that as soon as my back stops hurting.  It isn't bad but I have to be careful due to past disc problems.

Anyway, I decided this would be a good time to include some Blue Ridge Parkway facts in my blog and some of my popular paintings on this wonderful mountain area.



 The Blue Ridge Parkway, often called “America’s Favorite Drive,” was constructed, in part, to connect the Shenandoah National Park in Virginia with the Great Smoky Mountains National Park in North Carolina.



 Begun in 1935, the Parkway was also envisioned as the first elongated national park providing the recently enamored automobile traveler some of the most spectacular natural scenery in the United States.

The physical characteristics of the Blue Ridge Parkway are significant. There are twenty-seven tunnels, all constructed through solid rock – with 26 of the 27 located in North Carolina.



It is due primarily to the tunnels that much of the Parkway is closed throughout late fall, winter, and early spring. (Due to dripping groundwater from above, freezing temperatures, and the lack of sunshine, ice often accumulates inside the tunnels even when the surrounding areas are above freezing).



The 469-mile Parkway is the longest, narrowest, and most visited National Park in the country and is carried across streams, railways ravines, and cross roads by 168 bridges and 6 viaducts.



The speed limit is never higher than 45 and lower in many places. The highest point on the Parkway, at an elevation of 6047 feet, is south of Waynesville, North Carolina near Mount Pisgah on Richland Balsam Mountain at Milepost 431.



There is so much more but I will save that for another blog.



Now for some humor.  Today, as usual, I did something stupid on my computer. I have decided that the only way it would be more obvious that I did not grow up with computers would be if I attached a sign to my back.  Something like this.



CAUTION , THIS WOMAN DID NOT GROW UP WITH COMPUTERS    LET HER NEAR YOUR COMPUTER AT YOUR OWN RISK

Art Prints

Art Prints

Art Prints


No comments:

Post a Comment